Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cloud (Celestial?) vs. Terrestrial Computing: The Energy Use


Amanda Mecke, my literary agent, pointed me in the direction of a very interesting article, How Energy Efficient is Cloud Computing? by Lisa Zyga (Oct. 8, 2010), about the energy used in cloud vs. desktop computing. The article cites an IEEE (The Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers) study that reverses the original thought that cloud computing is more energy efficient than desktop computing.

Not originally considered was the energy used in transporting the data from home or office computers, which is higher yet than what the servers consume in the data center. “While previous studies of energy consumption in cloud computing have focused only on the energy consumed in the data center, the researchers found that transporting data between data centers and home computers can consume even larger amounts of energy than storing it.”

And the data center can be in a different city, state or country, increasing the energy consumption for greater distances. Power consumption in the data centers alone is predicted to double from 2007 to 2020. “Specifically, power for transport can be as low as 10% and 25% at low usage levels for private and public storage services, respectively, and nearly 60% and 90%, respectively, at high usage levels.”

Does anyone find themselves sending fewer signals into the cloud from desktop computers, cell phones, blackberries, laptops, netbooks, iPads, etc. any less as life goes on? I don’t. I just ordered a Kindle with the nearly 10 inch screen and constant, global 3G connectedness. Did I give a first thought to the power it will consume for the years I will own it? Alas, nay. I wanted it. I bought it. I’ll use it. I need it. At some point, I’ll wonder how I ever led my Neanderthal-like existence without it. Like all of you, I’m more than willing to use the additional energy.

A note about personal experience: Since the first laptop was put on my desk (more decades ago than I care to divulge), I’ve always powered down before I left the office each night. Recently, my IT department (you know, the guys who think they’re protecting the system from me and you; and who I think should run the system to serve me and you!) directed us to never shut down our computers again.  Seems they want to be able to load software and do diagnostics from their “cloud” while we’re all sleeping on ours. More energy use without a first thought. Take a look at the article.


1 comment:

  1. Nick:

    I think the world needs a "how many BTUs have I burned today" App, so we can clock our minutes per download cost!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete